Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Weekend Countdown?

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. --Randy Pausch, Last Lecture

Thank you to everyone who commented about  the rejections... I'm trying not to be upset about it anymore. It just doesn't seem right to toss energy into something that's giving me nothing back. I'm sure that later this year I'll look back at this moment and realize that if the Etsy Dallas thing had panned out, I never would've been available for xyz opportunity.

Yep. That's how I'm gonna think about it.

There is always room for improvement. I know I need to spend more time getting better photos of my jewelry. I'm experimenting on sunny days and I think some of my more recent photos are much better-- but much of the jewelry on my Etsy site has poor photos. I recognize that.

I also need to post items more regularly. I'm not sure whether that's something that worked against me or not when it came down to judgment time, but it may have. 

I know I need to get a brand... hell-- I'm still undecided about using linda lee studio as my "brand" ... I like it but I don't. I can't get the .com and that's annoying. All the good ones I can come up with are taken! The only thing that isn't taken is my name, because, well, I own that already. So I've been thinking about switching to using my name.

*sigh* I am undecided there. 

I wish I could have someone run the business and logistics side of everything-- post my stuff to the internet, create my logo, maintain my website, mail stuff, etc... so I could just be free to create.

Although-- I think I wouldn't mind doing all that other stuff if I didn't also have a full time job. Oh yeah, that...

This week is already proving to be challenging. There have been lots of those lately. We're nearing the end of a huge project at work, so everyone is putting in lots of hours. At the end of this week I'm pretty sure we're all going to collapse in a tired, aching heap of exhaustion. Maybe we'll have a few margaritas first.

I should have a bit of a lull over the next couple of weeks. Lulls always make me incredibly nervous. I've had a "lull" turn into 8 weeks of no work... or even longer... and with the economy being the way it is, it's difficult to not worry about it.

Things will work out. They always do.

Don't they?

Anyway, back to the actual reason for my post! I got some gorgeous tourmaline in the mail today. I've been anxiously awaiting it, and it arrived today... on a Monday... so now I have to wait all week to play with it!! Here's the strand:
Isn't it gorgeous?? You just don't see blues like that often in tourmaline. I can't WAIT to play!! I already know that what I make is likely going to go into my own jewelry box. All my best pieces do, and these beads are calling for a spectacular design, indeed.

So, I guess that's it for now. If you haven't already checked out my blog feature over at Macaroni & Glue, go check it out now

I have to admit that since I've opened up my blog to talk about more than just jewelry, I itch to write here far more often. I s'pose that if you actually read this blog... you've noticed that already. ;-P

Brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. They're there to stop those who don't want it badly enough. --Randy Pausch, Last Lecture


I'm glad you're here, reading. 

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day, and don't be afraid to say hello!

6 comments:

  1. thx for your comment linda. . .http://sidewayz-thedriftphilosophy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the quotes you shared.

    It is so difficult when these things happen. This last year I've spent so much time on things that have not served me. What I'm finding, though, is that this helps me focus my efforts. It's hard to explain - maybe I'll chat with ya on lj about it.

    I truly believe what Mr. Paush says about the brick wall. I've seen so many talented people quit because it's too hard. I'm convninced that the people who lead a "successful" (however you define that) creative life, are the ones who stick it out.

    Beautiful necklace, LL. I love the colors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! It's not a necklace yet... that's just the strand of beads. Aren't they gorgeous?!

    Yes, true. I re-read these quotes last night, thinking about how I need to just keep going.

    Like Dori says... "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming..."

    Yep. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love your jewelry. It's beautiful. I use to sell on ebay and always had to time the sun just right to get a perfect picture. There's some kind of "photo studio in a box" that you can buy where you don't need the sun. I never bought it b/c it wasn't big enough for the clothes I was selling but it might be perfect for your jewelry. Just a though, keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. come visit my page sometimes. . .http://sidewayz-thedriftphilosophy.blogspot.com. . .thx

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful work..
    mona & the girls
    hope ya see some sunshine tomorrow

    ReplyDelete