Saturday, November 26, 2011

Dr. Jeff's Holiday Fare Project

I wanted to share an evolving story about a guy named Dr. Jeff. I’ve “known” him for several years now, online-only. I’ve never actually met the man in person.

But, he’s a good guy, and he likes to do things for others, even though he and his fiancée are raising 5 kids and at times, it’s just, well—hard.

This story especially hits home for me, as I am continuing to run out of money with no income in the near and foreseeable future.  

So, what’s he doing? He’s collecting ticket books for Portland’s TriMet (public transportation system) and donating them to those less fortunate in the Portland, Oregon area.

And now, this story is getting some notable press around town, and around the web. Check out the blog for Oregon Live. He’s also been featured on the TriMet Diaries website, and he's getting more press by the day.

For details about Dr. Jeff’s efforts, to find out how to donate, and for updates on where the tickets are going, please go to the blog he set up for this project: Holiday Fare 2011.

I wanted to share it here, too, because this kind of gift giving is something that speaks to me, and to the spirit of my blog, rather directly.

In fact, Dr. Jeff’s efforts even helped me spawn my own idea that I’m currently working on, as a way that I can help others in need. I found myself poking around different services, organizations, and shelters in Dallas to see where there's a need I can help fill, and I found it. I’m keeping my idea under wraps for now, until I need help and the idea is fully developed… so stay tuned for that. I am filled with a ton of inspiration and awe at the moment, and I’m excited to carry out my idea.

How do you typically reach out to help others during this season, or in any season, for that matter? You all know I’m involved with Pathways, which is a special organization near and dear to my heart because it helped me make significant changes in my own life, and I have seen Pathways help thousands of people change their lives for the better.

But I’m curious about the ways you directly contribute to your community.

And if you haven’t thought about it in a while… perhaps this post will give you a little boost of inspiration to snoop around your community to find a good way to help those in need.

And if you’re prone to depression this time of year, like some of us are… then volunteering is a great way to combat that. We can all make a difference. We DO make a difference. Each pair of hands is a pair that wasn’t there before.

I hope you never underestimate the influence you have on those around you.

What you do matters. Who you are matters. And in times like these, it's vital for us to stay connected, to help each other.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, this is just fantastically awesome. Thanks so much for your kind words, and I can't wait to hear about (and spread the word about) your new project! Much love!

    ReplyDelete