Monday, June 1, 2009

Pearls, Pearls, Pearls

Admittedly, I’m not much of a pearl person.

Oh, I think they’re beautiful and all. They’ve got that luster thing going for them… and pearls can definitely make a statement. It’s just… they’re so dang common.

Everyone has pearls. Everyone loves pearls. It even seems like everyone has a story associated with pearls.

If you hadn’t noticed by now, I typically gravitate towards one-of-a-kind pieces, like lampwork beads created by artists.

Note: I did not say artisans. That’s a whole other topic, and don’t get me started on that word.

I’ve just never been a huge fan of pearls, because they are definitively not one-of-a-kind. Anyone can make a pearl necklace that looks good. If you grab pearls, you’re already halfway there because, you… grabbed… pearls. Know what I mean?

I guess I’ve just never come across any pearls that truly wowed me…

Until now.

I love these! These pearls are special. They’re irregular, so each one is unique. Some of them have blemishes. Some of them have more of a gray tint. Some of them are oval, some are round, and some are completely oddly shaped.

And… you know what? That’s why I love them. Between that and their size… which is difficult to find in reasonably priced pearls… I believe these pearls are truly special.

I mean… just look at them!

To give you an idea of their size, it only takes these 9 pearls to make an 8 inch bracelet. The clasp takes up about an inch of space, and you have to allow for the small 4mm Swarovski crystals, but yeah—9 pearls. They average 12mm long, or half an inch… and some are as long as 16 or 17mm. I even have a few that are longer than that!

These babies are absolutely divine. I can’t wait to see what else I do with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment