Saturday, January 31, 2009

Some recent work, and BEADS!!!

Hey there everyone! I hope your new year has started off right. Mine certainly has!

I've been working a lot, but I haven't really minded (I've been remarkably calm!), because I've been very centered lately. Volunteering with Pathways is the reason... I never feel more centered and spiritually whole than when I'm in that training room, doing whatever I can to help people shed the weight of pain they've been walking with-- some people, for a lifetime... it's an amazing process, and one that I am proud to be a part of.

On the jewelry front, I haven't been making any jewelry lately. There just hasn't been time. I am hoping to make some tonight, actually... but I do have some pictures to share of some recent pieces. That counts, right?

Without furture ado... 

First, a goddess necklace. I love this goddess. She's so beautiful and earthy! Love the way this turned out. I am tempted to keep it, but it isn't really my style. It's a little too chunky for me.

Next, we have a pretty little Carribbean number. Really great mix of types of beads here, in my opinion (and I need to get this posted to my shop asap!!)...

Ok... that's it for sale. Now on to stuff I'm keeping. I love the beads in the following necklace... I've tried several times to make a necklace that would do them justice, and I ended up ripping it apart every time. Finally, I am happy with the results. Unfortunately you can't see how the necklace hangs in this photo... but there is a clasp on each end, so I can fasten it however I like. I wear it as a super long necklace with a little doubled-over part so it looks like 2 strands. I LOVE it and get compliments on it every time I wear it! I think it's a winner...


Next... this is a remake. It's exactly the same as it was before, only this time... it's... better. Haha!! When I first started wire wrapping, I admit that I wasn't that great at it. I *thought* I was, but wow... was I ever wrong! This is one of the first necklaces I made after I started selling the pieces I was making using wire wrapping. I sold another necklace similar to this one, and I wish I could get it back and remake it for the person! 

I wear this necklace often... and I always get compliments on it. It's almost impossible to get good photos of it (well, impossible for ME, anyway)... because it's kyanite, which is ridiculously hard to photograph accurately. Kyanite, smoky quartz, and czech glass beads. I love love love this set and I'm so glad I finally took the time to redo it!! Now with perfect wire wraps! 

Next up is a necklace that I was SO excited to make! It's an interesting color combination, I think... carnelian with black onyx and Swarovski crystals. I love the focal... how I *got* this focal is a rather interesting story-- I wanted it but someone "sniped" it from me on Ebay. So, a few months ago I was looking at a Flickr contact's photos, and I noticed that she had this focal and a few others. She came upon some hard times and offered to sell some of the beads to me. I got this one and several others that I was bummed to miss out on the first time. Yay!

Last of the jewelry... a GORGEOUS pendant. The stone is charoite, and it's only found along a riverbed in Russia. It's extremely difficult to find good quality charoite that doesn't have any cloudiness or black inclusions, and unfortunately there is an abundance of fake charoite that comes out of China. I had my eye on this pendant (as well as a few others the lapidary artist had) at a craft show I did last fall... and my husband got it for me for Christmas! Sneaky man. I love him. ;-) Isn't it gorgeous? The photo doesn't do it justice, either. I decided to wear it on a simple chain...

Last but not least... I haven't been making jewelry for over a month now... but I'm hoping to get back in the swing of things soon. I think I needed a break from it. In that break I've done a lot of thinking about where I want to go next with my designs. I have finally succumbed to the charm and beauty of briolettes. I've found a supplier in Thailand and can get awesome deals from her. Here are a few of my recent purchases (well, recent, as in over the past few months)... 

From front to back, we have: natural pink ruby briolettes, yellow tourmaline pear briolettes, natural pink rubies, natural emerald, citrine (love these!), lapis, prehnite (a lovely pale sage green), and peridot. I am anxious to play with these!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Linda,

    I have to say that charoite is my favourite too! That colour is divine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to get a better photo of the pendant... in natural light. It was night when I took these photos... I just couldn't wait! Haha. But that charoite is truly gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete