Thursday, January 12, 2012

Perspective: Shake It Out


I think that sometimes, all we need is a little perspective.

Last night and this morning, I got just enough space between my brain and the critical issue of I need money now to allow a plan to emerge for my next three years.

Over the past several days, I’ve asked some people who know me well if they thought I would be good at being a hostess or server at a restaurant. The resounding response I’ve gotten is, “Yeah! (why hadn’t you thought of that before, LL?)”

This is an idea I’ve had for a while now, but I’ve had one main judgment. Can I do it?

I’ve never been a server. I’ve never been a hostess.

Yet, I’m people-oriented. I enjoy a fast-paced environment. When stuff hits the fan, I am calm and I can think quickly on my feet. And of course—I love food. Good food of all kinds.

I don’t mind working hard. In fact, it makes me feel good. I would love to not be behind a computer screen all day. I would love the chance to interact with all kinds of interesting people. I bet I wouldn't be bored, either.

What’s more, if I had a role like hostess, or server… I wouldn’t have to take it with me when I walk out the door. I can focus on the nonprofit, I can focus on my writing coaching, and I can focus on making jewelry and volunteering and doing the other things that make me—well… me.

I’m starting with my favorite restaurants, since I can speak to the menu with genuine excitement about the food I love.

Wish me luck?

2 comments:

  1. Best of luck!

    This is very interesting to me. I've often thought I might like to do hostessing (I'm so clumsy, I'm afraid of dropping things so I don't know if I could serve). I've also thought bartending might be interesting at the right place.

    You can make very good money at this - tips! And like you said, once you leave for the day, your time and your head is your own.

    Let us know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luck!

    I love love loved being a server when I did it. I think maybe you would, too. :) Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete